Location: Valhalla, New York
Salary Range: $57.51 - $72.30
As an integral member of the Pharmacy team, the Investigational Pharmacist performs responsibilities which enhance the reputation and service-orientation of the Department; duties and responsibilities include: coordinating, collaborating and providing expertise in support of clinical investigational drug trials; performing education responsibilities; providing accurate and efficient dispensing of medication; performing administrative responsibilities; maintaining overall responsibility for pharmacy operations in assigned area; performing communication responsibilities; performing cross-functional duties including those of the Oncology/IV Admixture Pharmacist and the Staff Pharmacist, Patient Care; performing other duties consistent with the job classification, as required.
Clinical Investigational Drug Trials Maintains responsibility for clinical investigational drug trials.
- Reviews protocols for clinical investigational drug trials, as required.
- Liaises with principal investigators and/or trial coordinators/research assistants to establish pharmacy's role, determine fee schedules and to implement dispensing, compounding and billing procedures.
- Communicates with, and trains staff anticipated to participate in any aspect of the clinical investigational drug trial.
- Maintains a pharmacy binder which contains a study summary, protocol, dispensing procedures, completed samples of required paperwork, dispensing checklist, fee schedule, billing procedures and any other relevant materials for each investigational trial.
- Maintains and coordinates distribution of an up-to-date Westchester Medical Center investigational drug trials list, as scheduled.
- Maintains responsibility for the management of the inventory for clinical investigational drug trials; orders, replaces and returns study materials, as required.
- Communicates any concerns regarding ethical issues or deviation from established policies & procedures
- Assist with the building of regimens and entry of research medications in the EMR system
- Maintains professional development.
- Orientates staff to pharmacy's role with respect to clinical investigational drug trials.
- Participates in the orientation and training of new employees and pharmacy residents, as required.
- Provides drug information to physicians, nurses and other health care professionals, as related to clinical investigational trial drugs.
Provides accurate and efficient dispensing of medication.
- Monitors pharmacy activities, on a daily basis, to ensure adherence to study protocols and dispensing procedures.
- Prepare investigational medication for both pediatric and adult patients including but not limited to orals, injectables and hazardous products
- Performs administrative
- Attends and contributes to interdisciplinary team meetings relating to clinical investigational drug trials.
- Monitors pharmacy activities, on a daily basis, to ensure adherence to proper inventory record maintenance and timely and accurate billing as required to support the clinical investigational drug trials
- Participates in the development of software programs designed to facilitate management of clinical investigational drug trials.
- Collects and documents workload measurement statistics; provides other data, as required.
- Completes reports including incident reports, adverse drug reaction reports, etc.
- Collaborates in the identification and development of revenue-generating opportunities, as deemed appropriate.
- Supervises/directs support personnel and verifies their daily activities as needed
- Facilitates rapport between the Department of Pharmacy, principal investigators, clinical trial coordinators, research assistants and trial sponsors.
- Consults with other pharmacy personnel, to obtain information/expertise in support of the investigational drug trials, as required.
- Effectively communicates with colleagues, and allied health professionals.
- Liaises with external agencies/organizations, as required.
- Contributes information about clinical investigational drug trials to the pharmacy department team.
Performs cross-functional duties including those of the Oncology/IV Admixture Pharmacist, Staff Pharmacist, as assigned. Performs other duties consistent with the job classification, as required.Qualifications/Requirements:
Two years of experience in Investigational Drug Services, preferred. Institutional Oncology experience preferred.
Bachelors of Science Degree in Pharmacy in pharmacy or a Pharm.D. required
Licenses / Certifications:
Possession of a valid license and current registration as a Pharmacist issued by New York State and one year of experience where the primary function of the position was as a pharmacist.
Thorough knowledge of the science, practices and procedures of modern pharmacology; good knowledge of the operation and protocols used in a pharmacy in a large tertiary care medical center; ability to understand, interpret and fill written prescriptions and formularies; ability to understand the composition and properties of a large variety of drugs, their manufacture and uses, their pharmacologic action, and procedures for testing their purity and strength; ability to measure, weigh, and package drugs using accurate computation; ability to work well with physicians and other health professionals; ability to effectively use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, e-mail and database software in performing work assignments; sound professional judgment; tact; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
WMC Advanced Physician Services PC